Forum home Problem solving

Builders Sand

Hi 

We are trying to make an old pond into a flower bed but three

quarters of the space is filled with builders sand which our old pond rested on. If we leave the sand in and top it up with top soil will I be able to grow plants in it  or would it be best to remove it.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

It will be fine at the bottom.  I know a lot of gardens where the soil is mainly builders sand, it does no harm. (Builders sand is extracted  from near my childhood home, everyones gardens were sandy)

Mixed in with topsoil, it is fine. If you leave it at the bottom, and then put topsoil on top, it will be fine. Too much sand and it need a lot of compost adding to hold water and nutrients.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,547

Some sand can be very clumpy so it actually does the opposite of what you'd expect and holds water rather than being fast draining. I'd make a shallow dish in the sand and pour some water in. If it runs straight through then as FB says, it'll be fine, just choose plants that aren't too greedy. If it just sits there in a puddle, you'll need to get the bulk of it out or you'll still have a pond there, just one without a liner

Last edited: 17 September 2017 12:10:05

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037

Dig it through the topsoil and it will be fine. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thank You all for your answers, you have been most helpful. I will dig some out as there is quite a lot and mix the rest with top soil

• peter980peter980 Posts: 1
    There is a great misunderstanding about builders sand on this site. Its used in structural concrete which means its pure - no salt (just think what would happen to the steel rebar), it's course - to bond to cement and stone, its cheap and comes in small bags - 25kg normally, and large bags (1 tonne - about half a cu m.) and bulk delivered. Just keep it covered before you use it.