Pronunciation

I am eternally irritated by gardeners not realising that Kniphofia is named after Herr Kniphof. Being German, his name is pronounced K nip hof. ( hof means a courtyard or formal area, and the K is pronounced) The plant is not named after a Greek, when ph would be pronounced f .  Hence K nip hofia.  It would still be bearable without the pronounced K, but there are NOT two f sounds. Please broadcast this to the linguistically challenged  English speakers!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,294

Did you mean that post to as rude as it appears?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,167

Monty Don went to great efforts to explain this on a programme last year ... however I don't expect it to have any influence on the way it's pronounced by people and I don't expect that he does either.

I am constantly irritated by the mispronunciation of lots of things, and the Victorian Hellenization of the pronunciation of many East Anglian Anglo Saxon place names is a constant bugbear.  However I know that I am a linguistic pedant and I have accepted that most people are not.

Last edited: 16 September 2017 15:56:58

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,294

We have a local village called Woolfardisworthy" , pronounces Woolziry.

I'd have to say my GW bugbear is " Rising to a crescendo" 

A crescendo IS the rising. " Rising to a climax " is , what I'm sure, they mean.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883
    Hostafan1 says:

Did you mean that post to as rude as it appears?

See original post

Classic first post of someone who has no intention of becoming a regular forum member. Just showing linguistic superiority over the rest of us. 

I do know how to pronounce Kniphof (and Kniphofia) but I don't find it necessary to belittle those who don't.

So I'll post this then ignore.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,167
    nutcutlet says:

Just showing linguistic superiority over the rest of us. 

Attempting to Nut, but not succeeding ... not on this forum image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,553

nee-fof-ee-a  !!!!

from The Collingridge Dictionary of Plant Names (Allen J.Coombes) 1985 .

Gridling , this IS the correct pronunciation image .

Your self-assumed 'superiority' is even more annoying than mispronunciations .

Hostafan1

Stayed at Woolfardisworthy many many years ago whilst still at primary school . Seemed a world apart then (1970's) from my home in Nottingham . Woke up to the sound of sheep instead of traffic!image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,662

Perhaps we should all 'knip hoff' and do something else rather then entertain people with nowt else to worry about.....I'm having a cuppa instead  image

# You say TomAto, and I say tomaato....and all that jazz  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,184

Paul B3, you will know all about Rainworth, Blidworth, and Southwell.

( Renn erth,  Blid erth, and Suthell)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

fidgetbones

Used to live at Ravenshead near Blid-erth ! Frequented Suthell market and GC regularly ; there a couple of weeks ago !

Friend of mine used to work at Hucknall (Uckna) colliery years ago image !