Pronunciation

I am eternally irritated by gardeners not realising that Kniphofia is named after Herr Kniphof. Being German, his name is pronounced K nip hof. ( hof means a courtyard or formal area, and the K is pronounced) The plant is not named after a Greek, when ph would be pronounced f .  Hence K nip hofia.  It would still be bearable without the pronounced K, but there are NOT two f sounds. Please broadcast this to the linguistically challenged  English speakers!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,021

Did you mean that post to as rude as it appears?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

Monty Don went to great efforts to explain this on a programme last year ... however I don't expect it to have any influence on the way it's pronounced by people and I don't expect that he does either.

I am constantly irritated by the mispronunciation of lots of things, and the Victorian Hellenization of the pronunciation of many East Anglian Anglo Saxon place names is a constant bugbear.  However I know that I am a linguistic pedant and I have accepted that most people are not.

Last edited: 16 September 2017 15:56:58

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,021

We have a local village called Woolfardisworthy" , pronounces Woolziry.

I'd have to say my GW bugbear is " Rising to a crescendo" 

A crescendo IS the rising. " Rising to a climax " is , what I'm sure, they mean.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999
    Hostafan1 says:

Did you mean that post to as rude as it appears?

See original post

Classic first post of someone who has no intention of becoming a regular forum member. Just showing linguistic superiority over the rest of us. 

I do know how to pronounce Kniphof (and Kniphofia) but I don't find it necessary to belittle those who don't.

So I'll post this then ignore.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607
    nutcutlet says:

Just showing linguistic superiority over the rest of us. 

Attempting to Nut, but not succeeding ... not on this forum image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,716

nee-fof-ee-a  !!!!

from The Collingridge Dictionary of Plant Names (Allen J.Coombes) 1985 .

Gridling , this IS the correct pronunciation image .

Your self-assumed 'superiority' is even more annoying than mispronunciations .

Hostafan1

Stayed at Woolfardisworthy many many years ago whilst still at primary school . Seemed a world apart then (1970's) from my home in Nottingham . Woke up to the sound of sheep instead of traffic!image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,622

Perhaps we should all 'knip hoff' and do something else rather then entertain people with nowt else to worry about.....I'm having a cuppa instead  image

# You say TomAto, and I say tomaato....and all that jazz  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,490

Paul B3, you will know all about Rainworth, Blidworth, and Southwell.

( Renn erth,  Blid erth, and Suthell)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

fidgetbones

Used to live at Ravenshead near Blid-erth ! Frequented Suthell market and GC regularly ; there a couple of weeks ago !

Friend of mine used to work at Hucknall (Uckna) colliery years ago image !