Forum home Plants

How to treat very old Roses.

BMLBML Posts: 151

I'm in the process of rearranging my front garden within which I planted a number of Roses nearly twenty years ago.  They still produce some very nice blooms but the actual Rose bush where it comes out of the ground look very gnarled and I wonder if its time to replace them. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Roses can go on for a lot longer. It all depends on the growing condition and the rose itself. Do you put a new layer of manure/compost at least once a year? Also, yearly pruning is needed to keep the stems fresh and new. Even on some older roses, it's always good practice to take at least 1/3 of very old and thick stems down to at least a foot to the ground whilst other thinner stems could be cut down to 2 ft from the ground. 

If you have grown tired of the rose, or it's just not performing no matter what you do, then it makes sense to remove it.

• BMLBML Posts: 151

Exposing my lack of knowledge, whens the time for manure?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

The ideal time to put on a new layer is early spring time, just when you are pruning down the stems ready for the growing season. Go for rotted down manure and not fresh manure. Fresh manure can scorch the plant. Manure can also be used for all your borders, so not confined to roses. Will condition your soil and feed your plants.