Forum home Plants

Acer advice

Jem_Jem_ Posts: 2

Looking for advice for this Acer Sango kaku we received as a wedding present. To me it looks a bad shape and in need of pruning but all the advice I can find says not to prune them. It's too late for this one as the top has already been pruned causing a lot of re-growth. Has anyone any experience with these trees?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580

I had one in my last garden and grew it in a south facing bed of neutral clay mixed with loads of well rotted horse manure and sheltered from prevailing westerly winds by trellis panels covered with a  climbing rose and a clematis.   I only ever pruned out dead wood in spring, once the frosts were over.

Without a picture or knowing whether it's in a pot or planted out or where you are it's hard to advise on yours.   Click on the camera icon to load pictures.  If that fails, try re-sizing as there is a limit.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Jem_Jem_ Posts: 2

Thanks for the advice. Here is the photo I tried to post from my phone earlier. Honestly I wanted a nice small compact tree I would stand a chance of training. This so tall (over 6 ft) and gangly I have no idea what to do with it...

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580

This one does grow taller and more tree like than the smaller, hummocky shaped ones and it looks fine to me.

I suggest you plant it out in the garden in a order or as a specimen in your lawn where all round light will help it even up its shape and buy yourself one of the acer palmatum dissectum types that will give you a lower, rounder shape for a pot.

If you do plant it out or even just pot it on so it can grow healthily, soak the pot in a bucket of water till no further air buubles appear then release the root ball from the pot, tease out the roots so they grow outwards rather than round and round, and then plant in good soil or compost at the same depth it was before.  Water well and give it a mulch of gravel, pebbles, chipped slate or chipped bark around the base to preserve moisture and keep down weeds. .

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw