Forum home Plants

Viola strain

I grew a batch of violas from seed that had set from some shop bought plants. One of the plants that has recently come into flower is unusual in that it carries two distinctly coloured "faces."  I've not seen this before and contacted a well-known seed company to ask them if it might be an unusual strain in which they might be interested but, as they haven't got back to me, I assume this is something already known. Originally the bottom half of one flower-head was light blue while another had a pale yellow lower half but now it has produced in addition to the blue head two heads with creamy-white lower halves. Have other growers met this before and, if so, just how common is it?

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Love violas, but.... picture ?

• DimWit....I have several pictures but couldn't seem to upload them from my computer to the site. I have just joined the forum so am not familiar with its procedures yet so any hints on how to go about it would be appreciated.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

the most common problem is trying to upload to large a photo. It doesn't go but no hint why..

I reduce mine by half or even more

• Thanks, I'll try with this post and see if anything appears!image

• Well it worked this time so I'll see if it can cope with the latest picture with the white flower heads.image

White Violae cornutae (the small kind) are usually unstable, and then to become blue as they age. Anyway, differently coloured violas in one single plant are very common (vide John Gerard...).

• Thankyou, Dimwit. I must say that, in years of gardening, I've never seen one with such markedly different colours. My one was, at least, unusual in that the blue colour appeared first! 

Violae are prolific seeders, very popular with pollinators! Try and get some seed for next spring, it is possible some of the seedlings might produce the same streak...