Forum home Plants

native tree

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions for planting a native tree in our garden.  The border runs alongside a low wall.  I would like the tree to be approx 10 - 15 feet tall and not mind the wind.  I want to grow a few low shrubs underneath the tree, so I would prefer a tree with a 5 foot or so trunk before branches develop if possible.  The soil is heavy and rich. Thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,509

How about a Mountain Ash GD?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,258

I found this list of trees which are truly native to the Channel Islands which I thought might help 

https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Indigenous_trees_of_Jersey 

If I were you I'd be very tempted by the idea of the wild medlar image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

Medlar is a beautiful statuesque small tree. I've only ever seen it with a low spreading canopy, I'm sure you could train it with a 5ft clear stem though.

• I have only just read your responses Dove and WillDB and I must say the native tree article is very interesting and informative too , thank you..  However before I had seen this I had rung the local nursery for suggestions and they recommended an Elderberry Tree - well I haven't told my OH yet - he won't be impressed!  We have had them before and they do tend to throw up shoots all over the place and are quite a spreading tree in our experience but they are quick growing and do attract wildlife.

I was going to plant shrubs along the wall side as well as a tree or two, but I am having second thoughts now.  I will try to put on a picture later today or tomorrow to show you exactly the area that we would like filled again.  Originally there was escallonia hedging but this died off - from some sort of disease but not contagious to other plants luckily.  So we are removing the dead hedge and would like something else in it's place to make a bit of a wind break as our garden is horribly exposed to the weather from the South and West.

I will look up wild medlar, thanks again for your invaluable help.

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,311
    Guernsey Donkey2 says:

I have only just read your responses Dove and WillDB and I must say the native tree article is very interesting and informative too , thank you..  However before I had seen this I had rung the local nursery for suggestions and they recommended an Elderberry Tree - well I haven't told my OH yet - he won't be impressed!  We have had them before and they do tend to throw up shoots all over the place and are quite a spreading tree in our experience but they are quick growing and do attract wildlife.

See original post

Don't be too quick to knock Elder.  It is a bit unruly, I agree, but  really does come into it's own in late summer. It is a fantastic tree for migrating warblers.  Blackcaps especially love the berries. 

You might also consider Hawthorn or Blackthorn which are also good for wildlife, especially if you've got a bit of space, neither of which get too big but both like to spread.

Last edited: 15 September 2017 17:34:54

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,706

Used to have a wild medlar in a hedge in my former garden. Has lovely flowers in Spring and --- almost --- edible fruit.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Almost Papi jo?  My OH says it (Medlar) is too tall and will cast shadow across the lawn (the previous people who lived here used it as a tennis lawn, but I have had my wicked way and planted trees which apparently are a real nuisance when it comes to mowing the grass (not my job thankfully)). The local nursery suggested a hawthorn and blackthorn mix for the hedge too - good for the birds isn't it? I must admit I am in two minds as to planting another hedge (we did find some old nests in it or planting shrubs and bulbs with perhaps one or two small trees, I am not too sure what to do for the best.  Attaching a couple of photos of the small area that we have already cleared - the rest will be done over the following months.imageimageimageAs you can probably see the wall faces west and any trees would give a shadow across the lawn in the later afternoon/evening.  The wall is about 4 foot tall and behind it is our field which is usually just grass that the farmer cuts a couple of times each year. No privacy issues but the wall and the hedge give a good wind break.

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,311

Now that you have shown pictures, why not fruit trees?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.