Forum home Problem solving

Best way forward with my polytunnel

Hi, I'm new to growing fruit and veg and have just got myself an allotment, i have just purchased a polytunnel one like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322602720214 

i have so far just constructed the frame, I have purchased a "greenhouse securing kit" which is a ratchet system to anchor it to the ground. What I would like to know is, is it worth me digging a trench around the polytunnel too? If so how do I go about this? I've been searching for guides etc online but I can't find much and what I have found im not sure if it would be suitable for my type of polytunnel. Another thing I've read about is using batons, again I'm not sure if this would be suitable. 

Where my allotment is, is very windy and I would like to secure it as best I can. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah they aren't ideal, the company I used to work for had one like this and when we got to work on several occasions the polytunnel had disappeared Due to the wind. I think I'll have able to bury the excess plastic as best I can And hope the anchors do the job. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,315

You want to try to make a square bottomed trench so you can put the cover down, across the bottom and up the other side a bit, then the soil you fill back in is acting as a weight holding it down reasonably evenly all around - that's the best hope of it not tearing - equal tension all around. If need be, put the hoops down further into the ground than they are meant to go so you have a bit more 'spare' on the cover.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821

Some people on our allotment have this type of tunnel our site is windy too. If you just accept that it is only going to last 2-3 years at best, it is a case of balancing cost verses durability. Suggestions above for anchorage are good. 

AB Still learning