Forum home Plants

leafy shrub

Hi all

I keep seeing this shrub around aberdeen. What is it? No idea. Also one thing about this plant is that a very large specimen of it growing somewhere the leaves go black at the edges almost like they have been scorched. What causes that to happen? Thanks in advance for any answers, Alex

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Viburnum davidii ; iif several clones are interplanted , they usually have a good show of metallic-blue berries !

Originally from very damp areas , periods of dryness can result in leaf damage .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_davidii 

PS:-

Seen this on several parks around here , beautiful blue fruits .

• ooo! thanks. so thats what its called. good. and thats why the leaves look like theyve been burnt! just lack of water. right. up here in scotland we get the flowers but alas the exotic fruit? have yet to see that, but ofcourse now i know what im looking for maybe i will. the other thing that doesnt seem to fruit are the endless numbers of cherry trees that line the roads in aberdeen. lots of leaves big healthy trunks, blossom etc but nae froot!

Hi Alex

Viburnum davidii originates from cool and moist areas ; the secret for good fruiting is to plant plenty of male and female shrubs together , idealy of different clones .