Forum home Plants

Can anyone identify this tomato-like plant please?

This plant just appeared in my garden. Thinking it to be a tomato plant I nurtured it as if it was. Having been away for 2 weeks I was hoping that the fruit would have grown somewhat but instead I find that they have remained the same size but turned black. Now I come to think about it, rubbing the leaves does not produce that distinctive tomato plant smell. The fruit are about the size of blackcurrants and when squished produce liquid and many bright green seeds. I am puzzled

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,498

It looks very much like Deadly Nightshade (a relative of the tomato) - very poisonous so I hope you washed your hands well after squishing the fruits. Dig it up and get rid of it safely to be on the safe side.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181

Not Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna).

Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum) is a member of the Solanum family, as is tomato (Solanum lycopersicum

Last edited: 14 September 2017 17:21:07

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852

Agree with Dove, Solanum nigrum, Black Nightshade. 

a common annual weed

• Thank you very much! I did indeed wash my hands because I was very wary of it. I will pull it up as recommended. Many thanks to you all