Forum home Plants

Clematis plug plants

imageI have just ordered my third batch of clematis plugs from Mont Rose (Raymond Evison).  The last two batches have been a great success.  18 months ago and 6 months ago (roughly) I received the plugs - the first batch were not so strong and only 3 out of 5 survived, the batch I received earlier this year have all grown into healthy plants which I have just planted outside, and now I am waiting for the third batch (four winter/spring flowering) to arrive.  All three groups have cost less than £10 per batch and the first three planted in late summer last year have flowered this year. As we don't have cheap offers on plants like clematis (i.e. no Lidl or Wyedale etc) here, buying reasonably priced plants is like finding gold dust!

Last edited: 14 September 2017 17:11:23

• Surely I am not the only one who is buying these clematis plug plants?  Or perhaps I am the only one who is happy with their growth? I would never have bought these at full price - most of the ready to plant out ones sell at £10 - £15 each at our local GC.  That's approx £60.00 instead of this fantastic offer of around £10. I don't mind nurturing them for a few months - it is interesting to see how well they survive after a year or two of tlc.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

They look great GD. Difficult for you when you don't have the same access to plants that many of us enjoy, so it's an ideal way for you to get plants. It's obviously slower, but given the right conditions and care, it's worth it. image

I definitely wouldn't have an issue buying named plugs (of any plant) from a reputable nursery or grower, but I would never touch 'offers' from certain suppliers that I'm sure we all know about. I'd rather buy one good sized plant instead,but that's easy enough for me to do. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I often buy plants from the GC too Fairy, but can you imagine that most of these plants will cost me double what you would pay for them.  I do buy plug bedding plants from B&Q in the spring - we have a large garden and I find this is the most economical way to purchase plenty of them, but there isn't a huge choice at our local B&Q.

I don't normally buy plants in the post, but these clematis plugs have proved to me that I shouldn't tar all suppliers with the same brush, so far they have been A1 quality.

I think that's fair GD. I can understand that often the price of postage etc is prohibitive for you, and I appreciate everything will be more expensive becauseof that. It's the same for anyone living in the far north and it's easy to forget that extra expense.

Good reputable suppliers will make sure any little plants arrive safely though, so it's a good way for you to do it. I bought foxglove plugs from a reputable nursery and they were superb.   Cultivates patience as well as plants doesn't it?   image

Have you tried growing stuff from seed - perennials etc? It's not something I normally do, but I did some this year with varying success, and it's a cheap way to get a load of plants when you have a big space to fill.

The failures were down to my clumsiness, not any fault of the seed! image

• Yes, I believe you are right Fairygirl - good reputable growers will supply their customers with reliable products.  Some don't send to the Channel Islands or if they do, some will charge rather steeply for their postage.

I always grow far too much from seed, not always successfully.  I have had some wonderful seeds from Forum friends in the past year or two, and swapped many too.  Seeds of plants that I may not have bought, but was surprised and pleased with the results.  There are plenty that don't germinate, but that is part of the fun of growing isn't it - you never know quite what to expect but it all gets planted out in the spring.

I'm not a great seed sower GD - but it's true - always a joy when something works! 

I tried those white Cobaeas (cup and saucer plant) this year, and the first two grew no problem, the others - nothing. image

They're rather odd things, and I'm not sure if I'll do them next year, so if you want to try them, I'll happily send you a few. image

Any progress with the pond? 

• In a word NO.  Thanks for asking because hopefully one day I will be able to say a big YES, but in the meantime we are tweaking this and that and still getting a lot of pleasure from this pond.

I don't know what Cobaeas are, so I am just going to google. Wow, they look quite special although I don't like purple as shown in the picture - are they really difficult to grow and did you keep them in the greenhouse or plant out? Sorry so many questions, but I like a bit of a challenge although I am not that successful either!

I had the white one GD - although they're a greeny white, and the buds are rather interesting. I think I should have left them till a bit later in the year to sow, as it's cool here, although I did start them in the house. Only two germinated, and they do grow very quickly, with lots of very twirly, sticky tendrils. I planted them out end of May/early June.

I think having a greenhouse would help, as they're half hardy annuals.

Glad you're enjoying the pond, even if it's still causing  some concern. Hopefully it will work out. 

• Even though only two germinated they do look interesting Fairy and I prefer white to the purple shade. 

To tell the truth I am going to sow less seeds this autumn - I had far too many trays of seedlings last year and was struggling to juggle them from shelf to table to floor etc. which is why I buy quite a lot of my bedding plants from B&Q or garden centres too. 

I have already bought some lovely plug polyanthus (winter/spring flowering) from a local grower already.  They should be ready to plant out in a few weeks time before the weather turns for the winter.

I don't do a lot of seeds GD - mainly my sweet peas and some salad veg. My garden is mainly shrubs and perennials to give  all year round interest. I don't really have time, room  (or the inclination) for all the pricking out and potting on. I prefer to take cuttings, but I now don't have room to plant any of them! image

Polyanthus are very easy aren't they? I think lots of spring colour is great. I have lots of bulbs too - lots of effect for very little effort and maintenance - perfect  image