Forum home Problem solving

Moss in Lawn

What is the best way to treat a quite heavy infestation of moss in a lawn this time of year? I am planning to apply a treatment to kill the moss, rake it out and then spread grass seed over the treated areas. Will there be enough time left in the year for the seed to germinate effectively or should I wait to the spring before beginning the treatment? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

September is a really good time of year to sow grass seed ... the soil is still warm from the summer and with the autumn rains it will germinate quickly.

If you have a lot of moss is the lawn shaded?  If so, I would choose a grass seed mix designed for shady areas ... it will grow more strongly and compete better with the moss than the usual mixes.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dovefromabove

The lawn isn't particularly shady, I thinks it's more of a compaction and thatch issue.

Given the time it takes for the moss treatment to work it will probably be early October before I can sow the seed. Is this still a good time? How late in the year can you sow grass seed and still expect it to germinate?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

It depends so much on the weather conditions ...  as long as it's not really cold I'd give it a go image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh