Forum home Problem solving

Weed growing through slates

Hi all,

I've been trying to stop weeds from growing in the area shown in the picture but with no success.

I haven't used any weed killers as we have pets in the house, so I'm trying to pick up all the slates to get to the roots.

It seems that the previous owner did lay weed fabric down but weirdly under a layer of mud too.

So I'm looking advice on how to kill the weeds or how to clean and lay the slate chipping again.

All help appreciated!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

if the pets are kept indoors until the weedkiller has dried, it'll do them no harm. 

Your other option is plain old hard graft.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1 says:

if the pets are kept indoors until the weedkiller has dried, it'll do them no harm. 

See original post

Sorry for being a compete novice. Would it be a problem if they eat/nibble on them even after it's dried? Should I pluck them before using the weed killer?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

My understanding is that once it's dry , it's safe. Check with the packaging before you buy. 

Normally it'll have pet advice. 

Don't pluck before you spray as many products need leaf area to aid the process. Again, read the instructions on the products as there are variations on products / process of  killing weeds.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135

Or - another alternative - scrape all the slate chippings back, remove the weeds (by hand or by weedkiller, as described ) then re-lay a new membrane and replace the slate. You'll still need to address the weeds in between the paving. Weedkiller would be the best option there to give you a completely clean start, but be aware that weeds will still grow by seeding in etc, so it isn't a 'once done, no more work' type of option.

There will always be something growing there, as weeds will always find a little spot to grow in, so just be vigilant once you get it tidy. You could plant something attractive and desirable in the paving cracks though, like thyme or similar, and that will help keep weeds at bay. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been reading about using table salt to kill all plants permanently and essentially destroying the soil too. Think I'll try and pour some before laying the membrane, since I don't plan on having any plants there.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135

Please don't Sarah - it destroys everything else too - good and bad, and makes for a very sterile area  image

A good weedkiller (Resolva) works quickly and effectively, and causes far less lasting damage to the environment when used correctly. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

Table salt won't really work, you'd have to apply so much it would be damaging to the soil. Try glyphosate, or running a knife along the top of the slabs. Boling water from the kettle poured along the cracks will kill the top growth, but it'd take a few trips to and from the kitchen.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

If you have no intention of growing anything there, use a Pathclear type of weedkiller. That will stop new weeds growing for a period of time but it will still have to be sprayed on a regular basis. Once or twice a year depending on your level of tidiness.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • What are you going to use the area for?

• I have no actual use for the garden, other than letting the dogs roam the area.

My intention is to "permanently" damage the soil, so I can have a plant-less garden which require little to no care.

The main issue I see is that the weed roots are underneath the fabric where I can't reach.

The consensus seems to be regularly apply weedkiller.