Forum home Problem solving

Conifer Trees

Can anyone give me advice on what to do with overgrown conifer trees? I have a small garden and they take up so much room. I hate them but they do provide privacy in our closely build gardens . Are they expensive  have removed? Any ideas what else I could put in their place that aren't quite so enormous?

thank you

jill

• Jill, I feel your pain!  We had leylandii hedging around the garden of the house we moved into and they are just horrible.  I would get a couple of quotes from tree surgeon types and get someone who can grind the roots out thoroughly.  

Expensive?  That all depends what your funds are like!  3 and a half years ago, it cost us about £700 to have about 100 feet of hedging removed, as well as several free standing trees taken out as well.  

It was one of the best decisions we made in the garden.  

To maintain privacy, that depends on what kind of fencing you have.  Fix trellis and grow climbers, or go for tall shrubs for screening.  Pyracantha grows quickly and keeps burglars at bay as well.  If you google 'tall shrubs for small gardens'  or 'shrubs for screening' you should get lots of good ideas.

Have fun!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

How tall are they Jill? You may be able to take them out yourself as they are not normally deep rooted..

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135

Can you give us an idea of the garden and what space you have Jill? That will help with suggestions too. A pic or two would be great image

As hogweed says, if they aren't too big, you can hack them back yourself, leaving a stump of around four feet, and that acts as a lever to rock them. They come out surprisingly easily. It depends on how hard you wnat to work, and how many there are of course!

Almost any kind of evergreen/semi evergreen hedging will suit - privet, beech, hornbeam. They can all be kept trimmed to a quite tight space and will give height. The beech and hornbeam retain their foliage over winter, which turns copper.

Or, as previously suggested, you can grow climbers on trellis etc, but if you have party fences/walls , you need to be sure you can attach plants/trellis to them directly. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....