Forum home Plants

Help needed for a Peace Lilly

imageimage

Hi all

can anyone tell me what is wrong with my peace lilly? I've repotted it a few months ago & moved it to the bathroom as my kitchen gets lots of direct sun. 

It appeared to pick up but now the leaves are yellowing, mostly affecting the lower leaves as some are coming up in a curled spiral & they are fine ???? 

I'm struggling with the watering a bit as I try to water once a week, only more if plants look droopy, I also don't feed it often as a few websites advised they don't require much food or water? 

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Hi mm2012

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/peace-lily.html

Thought you'd find this interesting image

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,099

Hi Millymolly,

Just to add to the advice in the article from Paul B3 ...

I feed mine with dilute home-made comfrey liquid (or you could use tomato feed), and it flowers really well (currently has 7 blooms).

I also regularly mist it.

You will get an occasional old, yellowing leaf ... just cut it off.

Bee

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,780

The main plant looks very healthy so the odd yellow leaf can be removed. Yellow leaves often are a sign of overwatering (specifically wet roots) or underwatering (but rest of plant usually droopy). I would suggest that when you water, you make sure it all drains out before replacing back in the outer pot. 

Don't forget that these (and all other lilies) are toxic to animals. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 

'Spot on' Bee witched ; as far as I remember , they are a dappled shade loving plant from the moist , humid tropical regions of the Americas and Asia .

For a plant producing flowers for such long periods , your comfrey feed sounds perfect (and natural) ; it's a shame how many of these plants are discarded after flowering ; many would survive for years given the right conditions .image

Millymolly

How do you make your comfrey feed ? I'd be interested to know image

imageimageimage

Meant that last post for Bee witched !!!! Duuh !

• Thanks everyone ? 

How often do you feed your peace lilly's, I've been feeding monthly for a while with miracle grow, got new leaves but no flowers, so I'll try the comfrey or tomato feed & see what happens? 

I've rescued a few plants lately that looked on their last legs, think that's the only time I'm patient ?

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,099

Hi Paul,

I grow comfrey bocking 14 (which is not invasive) and and take about half the growth off every 3 weeks or so from late April until end Oct.

I chop the leaves up (just roughly with shears) and stuff into buckets with some of that rigid clematis support net I've shaped to fit the buckets, and a brick on top to squash it all down. I then add water up to the bottom of the brick. I put a lid on each of the buckets (it pongs a bit!!). It's ready after 3 weeks, and I strain it (old tights are useful) into old car wash containers.The sludge left after straining goes in the compost heaps  .... it's a good activator.

I dilute about 20:1 to feed most flowering things during the growing season. 

Each spring I make sure to give the comfrey plants plenty of well rotted manure to get them off to a good start.

Seems to work OK ... cheaper than tom. feed.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey