Forum home Plants

Geraniums in winter

Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213

Hi - I have some thriving Geranium Nodosum which I've grown for the first time this year and I'd like to know what they look like over winter.  Pretty sure they're deciduous, but I'd like to know if they mostly disappear into the ground over winter, or if they leave a great big pile of bare stems?   I know I could wait for winter and see, but I'd like to buy more before then!  Thanks :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,060

They are deciduous, and that includes the stems of course, but you may find they'll hold leaves till quite late on, and start growing again quite early in the year. That will largely depend on where you live, and what the conditions are in you own garden. Mild winters will also make a difference. 

I have one of the cantabrigienses, and it's foliage turns red and stays till about October/November, and the new growth starts again around March, so it's not totally dormant for very long. In a milder area, that could be an even shorter period of time. Nodosum will be similar I think.

All hardy geraniums are very good candidates for growing bulbs underneath and around them, to extend the flowering season   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....