Forum home Problem solving

Bark chips

Could anyone suggest good quality chips and where to get them please? I intend to use them to suppress weeds and dress beds. Thanks

• I would imagine that any gardening company or tree felling company local to you would be glad to let you have some for a nominal fee.  We often get ours from a local tree felling company, they will deliver for a charge, or you can collect them at a reasonable cost.  How much do you need - a trailer full, or a few bags (which perhaps you could collect)?

We use wood chip for the same reason that you intend to use it for, and find it a very effective way of keeping the weeds down and those that venture to grow are far easier to pull out than if there was non wood chip there at all.  Not only that, but the chips seem to keep the local cats away from using our flower beds as a public cat toilet!

Last edited: 12 September 2017 15:38:18

• oooftoooft Posts: 191

My cat absolutely loves using the woodchips as a toilet!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545

We used to get ours delivered in Belgium from a local chap who had different grades and sizes of chipped bark from different pine trees - important because in windy sites you need the bigger, heavier chunks and in wet areas you need to avoid one sort of pine as it rots too easily.   Much cheaper to have it delivered by the cubic metre or metric tonne than to buy in 50 litre bags for a garden centre or DIY.

However, some tree surgeons and landscapers have spare wood chips from general tree felling which they'll happily deliver free or for very little money just to get the stuff off their hands.    Can't do any harm to ask - as long as you check it's not willow as this tends to root and grow into trees!!   Also need to avoid chips from diseased trees.

In this new garden we are planning new beds, both ornamental and fruit and veg, and we had 10 cubic metres delivered - saves a fortune on buying individual bags.   Proper chipped maritime pine bark which we'll lay on thick to suppress weeds, just as soon as we've had enough rain to enable us to make the new beds and dig in plenty of compost and then plant up and mulch them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273

I have regular, if sporadic, deliveries for free chippings from 2 different tree surgeons. 

I spoke to one of the guys last night in store and I think there's a load coming today.image

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

I have never seen so many bags of wood chips than in Hostas garden I think he's aiming for the moon with his flower beds.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 793

Thank you one and all for your helpful replies. I will make a few enquires with local tree surgeons. I would imagine if they have been doing a lot of varying trees the chippings would all get mixed up together so it could be difficult to avoid Willow!

Did I read somewhere that if you were to fell and chip your own tree, you shouldn't use the chips straight away? that you had to leave them for a while?  

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

It's best to wait for around 3-4 months, but there is nothing wrong with laying the mulch straight away on established trees and shrubs. The worry is mainly for newly planted young shrubs and perennials that could be affected by some kind of compound that is present in the chips that could stunt their growth and prevent them from establishing. 

However, mulching on unused areas or areas where established plants grow is still the best way of keeping weeds down and conditioning the soil without the need of back breaking work. 

• I went to my local wood yard yesterday and filled my trailer to overflowing with bark chippings for £10. Excellent value!

I have a border at the front which never gets a look in so now it looks nicely dressed and the horrors are hidden underneath. Hopefully when I get to it the bark will have worked some kind of magic! image