Forum home Wildlife gardening

Rancid fat balls ok to 08-2018 !

I didn't like the smell of a 50 tub of fat balls as they smelt rancid although the use by date was 08-2018.  I hate to think what state they would be in August 2018 !

I feel it is wise for everyone to smell all fat balls they purchase for the future.  These fat balls were on offer both in the midlands and also North Wales so there must be hundreds of these 50 bucket fat balls for sale.

I must add that I have not had reasty fat balls when I have bought them from Wilko's who I will stick to buying them from for the future.

So , smell them and if they are rancid take em back.

It might be worth mentioning that the North Wales birds seem to love Wilko's fat balls because this year there seems to be many more species of 'tits' in large numbers on the Farm we stay at in Criccieth.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319

I have to say, I'm not keen on the smell of the fat balls I have, but the birds love them.

As it's them eating them,and not me, I'll carry on putting them out.image

Devon.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I only buy bird food from the RSPB.  Expensive, but you can be sure of the quality.  And I'd rather they had the profit than a supermarket chain.

• It's a good idea if you can afford it to buy the best but I do not think it is 'on' selling anything that might harm the birds. The company selling those fat balls might not know the quality of the goods they are selling but those buying any fat balls should smell them to get a good idea if they should get a refund or not.

If it were food for humans the company selling those bad fat balls would be done. The message is

Beware of 'BAD' fat balls.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319

May I ask why you assume you think the balls are going to "harm the birds" just because you don't like the smell? 

Have you put any out for the birds? Are they eating them? Is your garden littered  with poorly birds?

I'm curious.

Devon.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I'd say wilko's is the best place on the high street for wild bird foods. Fantastic range at great prices