Forum home Problem solving

How to get rid of one rock

Over the last few weeks I've been shifting hundreds of rocks left by the last owner. Im down to one beast of a rock that i cant lift. Had a google but everything seems really expensive for one rock. Im not buying a jackhammer or 5 kilos of dextan for one rock. I'm not able to build a fire round it. I don't own a sledgehammer. I can't roll it so no point digging a hole for it. I have a drill and a clawhammer and thats about it. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid? Or does anybody want a free rock? ????

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,379

You need a feather and wedge set and a sledgehammer or hefty lump hammer as well as your drill. I don't think a clawhammer will be up to the job. Search Youtube for rock splitting and you will find lots of videos showing how to do it.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,444

How big, is it that one person can't lift it? or 5 couldn't? The classic way is to lever it up each side and fill in under it as you go slowly shifting it up. Of course it'll still be sitting on the top. I would gather friends or neighbours and pay them in beer and food. Or if it's really huge get a local farmer to move it, or give up and make it a garden feature.

Also the type of rock is important, some you can split "fairly" easily but if it's granite or something of that ilk, good luck wedging it.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,602

imageimageimage

I moved this one.image

Devon.

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

1. Do you know what the rock is made of

2. Could you afford for the local friendly builders with all their tools to come at it? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,366

Offer it free of charge to a local Young Farmers Club or Rugby Club to take away and sell for their funds or a charity of their choice?  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Can we see a photo of the rock? 

Presumably the last owner got it into the garden somehow, so surely it must be removable? 

Devon.

To-day.image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,366

Hosta ... I can vouch for its beauty and perfect positioning ... and that of the other one too image

Edited 'cos this laptop keeps inserting extraneous apostrophes image

Last edited: 12 September 2017 11:00:45

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

and, for extraneous apostrophes, we have no time.image

Devon.