Forum home Problem solving

Bizzy Lizzies dying quickly

Hi I'm new to this forum but I hope someone can help me.  The past few years have been disastrous for my bizzy lizzies. I've spoken to other people who have the same problem.  There was one year when it was hard to get of these plants and then they returned but they've never been the same since.  The "newer versions" dont grow as big,they don't go to seed and even worse they die overnight in Aug/Sept.  One minute they look great and the next the leaves and flowers have all dropped off leaving bare stems. In the past they would continue until the first frost. No one I know manages to keep their bizzies that long any more.  I should add that all the plants have been bought from local nurseries. They are one of my favourites and I'm wondering if I should try growing my own to see if they are any better.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273

I think there was some funus attacking them over the last few years which turned them to mush. 

Might be that?

Devon.
  • Hi Hostfan1,  thanks for your reply.  I don't know if its a fungus as they look so healthy one day and within a day or two I'm left with stalks.  The leaves and flowers drop off very quickly indeed.  The remaining stalks seem strong (not mushy) but they dont recover.  This is about third year its happened and I know other local people are having the same issue. I wonder if its a local supply issue or is it happening in other places across the UK? 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hi Mike, I believe hosta is right - it's impatiens wilt. The bare stalks sound exactly like it, the New Guinea ones seem more resilient, as do 'sunpatiens' 

Last edited: 11 September 2017 18:07:23

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273

Mark, thanks, I almost added about the New guinea hybrids, but wasn't sure if I'd remembered correctly.

Devon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

• It's been the same here - north of Scotland.  I haven't bought Lizzies for a few years now following the fungus or whatever it was affecting them, but for the first time in ages, this year I decided to try them again.  Half way through September, they're looking very sad, and I'm thinking of emptying the pots already.  Maybe they've not thoroughly recovered from what ailed them for quite a few years image.

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

if it helps - I'm in SE London and mine r doing really well!!! 

• Thanks guys for your responses.  I've walked around my neighbourhood and checked out some other gardens and spotted plenty of bizzies doing ok.  So I guess mine are being affected by the fungus.  I think I'll give them a miss next year as they've all been affected (front and rear garden).  But you are right about the New Guinea ones so perhaps I'll stick to those for a few years until the fungus disappears from my garden (or I move!).  Thanks again image