Forum home Plants

Suitable plant for front porch

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what type of plant I can put in my porch all year round. 

Had a yucca. Loved the yucca plant but the porch is too cold in winter. Moving it back and fourth is becoming a bit of a pain.

Need a plant which has a yucca type look but likes a warm sunny space in summer and can withstand cold entrance space in winter.

Any suggestions would be great.

• I don't know what your porch is like but if it is anything like mine was, it was neither very big nor tall. My choice is canna. Though they will not flower after October, they have such beautiful foliage, especially the bronze-leaf varieties, they are well worth growing for that alone, plus if it is cold at night ( but not freezing) they will not get spider mite, which is one of the big drawbacks of keeping them in leaf all the year round. Also if your porch tends to heat up rapidly in sunny weather they will not mind this either. The major drawback is they need a lot of water in summer. My reserve choice is an orchid - Cymbidium. They are winter-flowering so if you wait until the end of October you should be able to get one in bud. Like cannas they can go outside during the summer and are surprisingly tough provided they don't freeze Good luck. Ian

Last edited: 12 September 2017 00:23:38

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102

Whereabouts are you and which yucca variety have you got?

There are several yucca varieties which are usually fine planted outside here in East Anglia all the year round as long as they're in a well-drained spot  https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=944 .

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

But a bit visitor-unfriendly with their spikes!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102

Perhaps the OP likes a quiet life and is hoping to deter visitors image  ... they said that's what they have there at the moment ... maybe keeping the Coldcallers at bay .................... or maybe they have a large conservatory-type porch image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh