Forum home Problem solving

peony woes

Old owners forgot to water 2 established peonies so are brown - new garden for us. Can I clip all the dead stalks off?

all help would be appreciated.

thank you

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Normally, Peonies look dried and tatty at this time of year, so yes, cut them down if you want them to look more tidy. If they are grown in the ground and they are well established as you say, it's unlikely due to watering. They are just dying down for winter time.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Hello suzii

Paeonia foliage is naturally dying away at this time of year anyway , so no harm will be done removing it .

Are the established plants in pots ? Just with you saying the previous owners forgot to water , are they in a particularly dry spot in your garden ?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015

Isn't it strange how such a stunning plant when in flower, can look so manky when it's dying back! image

Mine looks hideous just now, but I put some pots in front of it to disguise the foliage while it dies back. It's not in a border, but in a gravelled area, which makes it easier. 

The lack of watering won't necessarily be an issue long term, as long as the plant is healthy otherwise. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all so much - how silly of me... phew! dying back for winter, so all is well!

suziii