Forum home Problem solving

Shrub not growing at back (wall side)

Hi all,

I have an East facing border with shrub which does not grow at the back (the side facing the wall). All other sides are fine but the back is just a mass of dead twigs. Is there anything I can do about this? Is the shrub simply planted too close to the wall?

Thanks!

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Do you know the shrub name and the type of soil it is growing in? Maybe post a picture of it if you are unsure. Also, are the other shrubs that look fine around other parts of your garden the same shrub?

• its the walls fault,

the shrubs getting little light at the back so its not bothering to grow leaves, also if its close to the wall it will knock off it in strong winds, damaging the branches and any leaves that try to grow.

the only way to get it to grow would be demolish the wall - which I do not recommend you do!

• treehugger80 says:

its the walls fault,

See original post

Thanks, that is what I expected. There is some ivy growing behind it, I might get rid of that in an attempt to get more light to the shrub.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,017

It still won't resolve the issue completely Chris, if the shrub's too near the wall.

A shade loving shrub will cope better, but the wall will simply be preventing the light reaching the shrub, as treehugger says. Removing the ivy may help a little, but it also depends on just how close to the wall the shrub is  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....