Forum home Plants

Easy Perennial Flowers From Seed

Hi All,

Please could anyone suggest perennial flowers easy to grow from seed ?

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

Echinacea, Geum, Gaura, Lupins, Echinops, Heleniums, Agastache, are the ones I've had success with and I'm a beginner. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Thankyou  image

• Knap weed (Loved by the birds and not a weed), Teasels, foxgloves and hollyhocks - the last three are strictly biannual but I class them as perennial as they come back each year.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,940

I did some white  geraniums this year- 'Summer Snow' ( I think)     and also an orange Agastache.

I don't normally sow perennial seeds, so it was a new venture for me. They were very easy image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

My hardy geraniums haven't sprouted yet and I sowed at the beginning of August. Did yours take a while Fairygirl?

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Delphiniums are not as fussy as their reputation goes. Depending on your garden, they sprout and thrive without much ado. The same with penstemons.

Last edited: 10 September 2017 18:25:39

• 2 perennials I've found easy to grow from seed, Bright star, are Coreopsis and Alyssum (saxatile).

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

AAll the above mentioned plus dahlias....dianthus.....monarda....lobelia cardinalis. ....aubrieta. All perennials. 

Your plants planted in August probably won't flower this year but will be well established by the Spring. 

Last edited: 11 September 2017 16:22:35