Will greenhouse need heating?

This year I have brought some tender plants that need protecting from frost, would it be enough to just stand them in the greenhouse, they are in pots, or would I need to heat the greenhouse or maybe put up bubble wrap?

I would prefer not to use a heater if possible, would putting them in a shed be better & do I water them?

In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.

• What plants are we talking about and where are you?

If you live somewhere with mild winters and don't get hard frosts, you might get away with bubble wrap and perhaps some fleece over the most vulnerable. Bubble wrapping the pots can help stop the compost freezing too. The greenhouse will not provide protection against  a hard frost and neither will a shed. Tender plants don't necessarily die back like other perennials and need light to keep them ticking over too.

Where I live, with winters that are long, wet and frequently very cold, I house everything that is tender, or border-line hardy and also those plants that can stand cold but hate winter wet. I bubble wrap the GH and use an electric fan heater set at just frost free. My fuchsias,  pelargoniums, salvias and agapanthus all survive ok like that, but anything that needs more warmth, like my standard Lantana,  comes into the house, to spend winter in the back porch, which is heated and has large windows.

Whether or not you water depends on the plant. Those that do die back will need very little water, but those that keep most of their leaves need a bit more. Root rots and grey mould are more prevalent with wet soil, so it usually pays to keep them on the dry side, while avoiding drought. It can be a bit of a balancing act!

Last edited: 10 September 2017 14:08:07

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,144

If your stuck for indoor space you could buy one of those cheap plastic greenhouses and put inside your glass one. 

Depends which plants you have, I've never needed heat for overwintering anything, but if you have tropicals then you will. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.