Forum home Plants

Ranunculus

oooftoooft Posts: 191

Hello gardeners. 

I have a bed in the garden which i thought i would do some bulb lasagne in. Ordered up my tulips and daffies and thought i would be clever and put in a layer of ranuculus for summer colour. Asked the nursery about this and they said it wasn't recommended. So. I've never grown these before, what to do? If i dig up some lawn and make them a bed will they be able to share it? The guide says plant 2" deep, is that enough to overplant with bedding? Should i just bung them in pots? I have 75 ordered, not sure the area these would need? Basically i'm clueless and the more i look into it the more confused i get. The nursery says these will flower in June but elsewhere i've read they will flower late spring from autumn planting. I'm in central Scotland. Cheers

• I've got some Oooft that are in pots. I believe (and I may be wrong on this) that they are quite tender, so I have mine in a greenhouse over the winter, and they go out early spring. I look after them the same as I do my other bulbs, feed and redress the pots every year when they die down, keep them damp but not too wet. It has worked for me so far, but others might have better info. image I'm in Staffordshire, so you may have to put them outside a bit later than me.

• Just looking at your post again....I would say that 75 would give you at least 7 or 8 large pots...and deadheading them increases the amount of flowers you getimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292

Hi oooft - I've never grown them, but there are different varieties, so a lot may depend on which variety you've bought.

Up here (I'm also in central Scotland) flowering time is often around three or four weeks later for many plants, so that might be why you've been told June. 

Another reason for not planting them with the taller daffs and tulips, is that they would be hidden by their foliage as they flower later. They wouldn't get the light and sun they'd need. 

Probably best to use tubs and containers for them, to be on the safe side. You could also experiment with them next year - leave some out, bring some in, and see what works for you. If you know the exact variety, try contacting the company you've ordered from for specific advice too, or check their website  image

I just saw you got them from a nursery - can you contact them and ask for more info?

Last edited: 10 September 2017 13:18:13

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• oooftoooft Posts: 191

Thanks for the replies. Im still unsure. I dont have a greenhouse and the conservatory is already rammed with seedlings and i'll be putting in pots of cuttings in the next few weeks so no room in there for lots of pots. Had a look round the garden today and this bed is full of bedding at the moment. It sits under the eaves of the house so is fairly dry and gets a fair amount of sunlight. Im thinking maybe here? The other possibility is window boxes but they'd be taking up a valuable space and doing very little for a long time. Is it possible to overplant with pansies or violas or will this make them rot? They are Aviv variety if that makes any difference

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292

I don't think I'd plant anything on top of them, although - as I said - I don't grow them so can't really advise. Perhaps some crocus, or reticulata Iris, or similar small bulbs for earlier blooming would be fine.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....