Wildlife photos

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,826

The extremely rare Welsh tree salmon, only found in Betws-y-Coed.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,288

What a lovely thread, there are some gorgeous photos here. Shep 's photos are superb. Sorry I can't send one, everything runs/flies away as soon as I get my camera out. Maybe I should have got a black camera instead of a bright purple one!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,427

josusa image

Do they taste good?  image

BL - I get a lot of mine from the kitchen or bedroom window, as I can see the bird cage from those. image

The little wren (or it may be another one!) appeared just at the right moment today 

and this little chap was on the front wall of the extension while I was working there earlier 

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,945

Any idea what he is?   Striking markings.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,826

Fairygirl,  didn't you read "extremely rare"?  So, they're a protected species, so I've never tasted one.  People who have say they're a bit woody.

Not a clue Obelixx. Haven't had time to try and find out. I put him on Forkers in the hope someone  might know.  

Josusa - you'd have to watch out for splinters too.....image

I know where I belong

• Indeed a nice thread with some impressive photos. Just signed up at this site :-) Can't wait to get some good inspiration here.

Obelixx - I contacted a moth/butterfly site run by Steve Ogden, and he IDd him for me as a Grey Dagger moth. I looked at the link he gave me to his site, and one of the pix was identical. He gets a bigger 'hump' down his back and gets a bit bigger too. The caterpillar, not Steve....image

Some of the caterpillars he'd photographed had been raised on blackthorn, and I have  a blackthorn hedge - a few feet from where I took the pic. Nice to know that planting it is having real benefits. image

Jump in 79henriksen - look forward to seeing any pix you take. We're keen on wildlife of all kinds on the forum image

I know where I belong

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,945

That's interesting.  We had those moths in Belgium but I never saw the caterpillars and we didn't have blackthorn.   We get tiger moths here and some brilliant yellow butterflies which don't sit still long enough to identify.   Quite a few bees on the salvias at the mo.

Just hoping we'll get more insects and more variety as the garden develops.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

They must have other food sources, but I certainly haven't seen one of those caterpillars before, so I can only assume the blackthorn has had some effect. I'm hoping so anyway! If it clears up I might go and have a look around and see if I can spot him again - he might have brought some family and friends too  image

As you say, as your garden develops, you'll attract masses of insects and wildlife Obelixx. You have so much scope there, and so many plans. It's great  image

I know where I belong