Wildlife photos

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,701

Am I allowed to put rubbish photos on here?image

Here's a sparrowhawk who nearly made me late for work this morning while it ripped up a bird on the lawn:

Tried to enlarge but quality is poor. Think the prey was a starling.

Last edited: 13 September 2017 19:39:27

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,471

Certainly not poor Victoria  -  hard to catch them, unless you've nothing else to do all day but sit there with a camera!  They're so quick, but utterly beautiful. We used to get one visiting at the last house. 

Fab pix steephill. A whole little story - right there  image

doc - when I was away, I went round to Lochinver when it wasn't favourable to do Suilven, and went up to Stoer etc instead.  I was staying in a hotel further up round the Nth. Coast 500. I think I put some pix on the camera thread. It's a stunning area. Didn't see the goldeneyes, but did stop and get some photos at some of the many lochans.

Really fancy doing the NC500. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,912

We have talked about doing it, Fairy, as many of the places on it are great favourites of ours.

Suilven is a great mountain, although the walk in was seriously boggy.

There is a pub in Lochinver used by the trawler crews, I noticed all the tables and chairs are nailed down to the floor, must have some riotous times in there.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
    punkdoc says:

There is a pub in Lochinver used by the trawler crews, I noticed all the tables and chairs are nailed down to the floor, must have some riotous times in there.

See original post

It was a pity not to get Suilven, but the clag was down and didn't lift till well after 5pm. Stac Polly was great fun though. I'll be back at some point when I get a chance. 

The hotel I stayed in had only been taken over last year. I didn't notice when I booked it that the new owners had come from Glasgow, but the funny thing was, they'd actually lived a few minutes away from me!  Small world  image 

• ShepsSheps Posts: 828

Hi everyone...here is a delightful little bird and one you may have seen on your travels, Fairy...the Snow Bunting.

Sheps...image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,912

Stac Polly is fantastic isn't it?

If it were a Munro i think it would be one of the most talked about hills. Done it a few times, when waking too late to do a big walk, its proximity to the road being very handy.

Fantastic Snow Bunting, have seen them occassionally oop north.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks Doc and Scroggin image

I love them Sheps image

This one, and it's friend, were on Cruach Ardrain last spring. They were quite happy to potter about nearby. I watched them for quite a while

Lots of them around Glenshee scroggin image

Re Polly - absolutely doc - it's a great little hill. The pinnacles are great fun to scramble on. I chickened out of that last scramble at the summit as I was on my own, and the drop's substantial if you slip, but if I'd waited twenty minutes, a couple of lads coming along would possibly have given me a little help. The other way round is to drop right down into the gully and ascend the 'chimney' behind it. Might do that next time  image

Beautiful shots, Fairy...and such gorgeous little birds and you get to see them in summer / breeding plumage.