Forum home Plants

Buds but no flowers

I have 2 hibiscus plants one of which is in its 3rd year and  each year they produce lot a of buds but none of the buds ever seem to open 

Any and all suggestions welcome 

Thanks 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,143

Hello Sandra

Where are the Hibiscus plants situated ? They appreciate as much sunshine as possible , and plenty of water during the growing season .

• They are in large pots on a very sunny patio the plants seem to be very healthy I water them regularly but not to much as read that they dont like to be water logged just getting frustrated with them as they have got loads of buds on but just don't seem to mature into flowers 

• From the colour of the plant it looks a bit hungery I would be feeding it with tomato feed.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762

I'd agree with Chrissy - it's probably hungry. Have you got it in a suitable medium for long term planting?

If it's only in compost, it  will need some of it replaced every year, as the nutrients aren't enough for plants over a long period.  It will then need some extra feeding through the season to give it a boost. 

I wonder though - is it warm enough where you are Sandra? They're late flowering plants and need warmth, so if the temps are low, it might be that it's just now warm enough for it to get into flower in time. I don't think I'd be tempted to grow them up here where I am - not consistently warm enough outside at this time of year. I'd have to bring it indoors I think. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I have been feeding it regularly but not with tomato food we live in Cheshire and to be fair it's not been a brilliant summer.

I think I might have to give up with them but love the flowers. Might give them another year. Another question sorry do I need to cut them back in the winter or just let the foliage die off? As you can tell I really am an inexperienced gardener ?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762

I don't grow them - but I don't think you'd cut them back until spring - they flower on the new season's growth from what I understand. 

I wonder if you need to prune each stem/branch back more to produce more flowering shoots? It's what you would do with mallows, so maybe that's the normal procedure.

Someone more experienced with them will advise - I'm sure image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,143

I look after a garden where there is a 6' tall x 3'wide Hibiscus syriacus 'Bluebird' ; this flowers every year in August and looks stunning .

I carefully trim back after flowering every second year purely to keep it manageable , and as Fairygirl says , blooms are produced on the current years wood . They are very late in commencing growth , sometimes end of May before any green shoots appear , and that's on a SW facing sheltered situation.

I planted this approximately 15 years ago in open ground , quite a light free draining soil ; never fed it or treated it with anything , and has proved a reliable shrub . Cultivation in pots is a different matter ; an open free-draining mix , plenty of root space and low-nitrogen feed would probably be important .

It  looks particularly good when covered in dark-blue flowers , contrasting with the orange berries of the Corokia growing alongside it .image