Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomatillos

Tomatillos are so easy to grow and have a delicious zesty tang which I love adding to Mexican and other spicy dishes.

Does anyone else grow them and what are your favourite ways of using them in the kitchen?

Here's the recipe for my favourite way to eat them - alongside nachos and a cold beer...

https://dogwooddays.net/2017/09/09/plot-to-plate-tomatillo-salsa/

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,949

Grew them last year for the first time had an amazing crop , o/h wouldn’t let me grow this year as we had so many , Salsa or roasted with olive oil is how we used them image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,319

They look interesting, haven't seen them before in the veg seed catalogues...

Apparently they can be grown ok outside as well.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,949

They grew better outside at allotment than in g/h at home image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,162

IF YOU BUY A COPY OF FANNIE FLAGG'S NOVEL "FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFÉ" YOU WILL FIND QUITE A FEW SOUTHERN RECIPES FOR THEM.

AND GET A NICE LITTLE STORY TO READ TOO. image

Last edited: 14 October 2017 07:55:01

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,319

I might have a try of them when I free up some space on the lotment. I don't really like normal tomatoes, find them a bit watery.

I will put that book on my read list Pansyface, got a small pile at the moment. Have to read Genghis Khan by the weekend as have borrowed it too longimage

• Thanks GWRS - I haven't tried them roast with oil - will give it a go. Mine also grow much better outside than in a GH - they like the space I think. Thanks Pansyface - I remember seeing the film years ago but haven't read the book...