Forum home Problem solving

Aphid problems

Hi all, I have just joined the community and hope you can help me. A number of my shrubs and flowers seem to have the same problem his year with an infestation of aphids I think. I assume they have just spread from plant to plant. My question is will they be ok next year or does something live in the ground over winter to reappear next spring? I had tried spraying with soapy water etc when I first spotted it but it beat me and covered a number of shrubs.

any advice would be gratefully received.

sharon Hutchinson.

i have attached picture.image

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821

Ahh where to start. To some extent it is seasonal aphids multiply by the million in warm wet weather when there is soft sappy growth on plants that is easily pierced by their mouth parts. Some of the damage appears to be more than Aphids though.  Those holes in the leaf 2nd from right could be capsid bug or a number of other things difficult to tell from here. The chemical answer would be something like Bug clear but I can understand if you don't want to go that route. The good news is most deciduous plants will recover with a fine batch of new growth next year. This winter have a good clear up get rid of damaged leaves so their is nothing for them to overwinter on. Encourage wildlife, many new gardeners know about ladybirds eating aphids but do not realise that proper birds, Sparrows, Blue Tits Robins etc eat far more, so feed the birds this winter & spring to encourage them into your garden. Wasps are also big predators of insects early in the season. If you have to spray there are organic alternatives, but grow your plants healthy & strong well fed with not too much Nitrogen (encourages soft sappy growth). Blood fish Bone or something like Vitax Q4 as a base feed.  Go on www.rhs.org.uk   website for more advice.

AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

Sharon- have you a photo of the whole garden or at least, a large part of it to give us and idea of the problem?

It may be due to several factors and Iain has outlined a fair bit there, plus solutions. The main reason could be that it's simply the type of plants you're growing, and they're attractive to aphids,  as described. Knowing the reason helps with the solution  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you so much for the replies and I did think I had a good number of birds and friendly insects in the garden (I also have loads of slugs). I have started picking up the first leaf drops but the caryopteris is just about to flower and the Sorbaria is only just starting to drop. I wondered if I had planted to close to each other. The picture shows the border that is effected and the winter before last I dug everything up and enriched the soil and improved drainage so thought I had prepped it ok.

imageimage

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821

What else is around you, are you urban or countryside. The aphids may have come in from elsewhere. Your beds look fine to me, it may just have been the season. The Dahlias on my Allotment suffered a plague of pollen beetles this year, I usually get a few but for about 3 weeks mine were overrun they have gone now thank goodness.

AB Still learning