Forum home The potting shed

Adam Frost - Gardeners World

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,846

Me too. image

Plus more Chris Beardshaw please, can't have enough of him [ no not like that, dirty minds! ]

Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • One thing I didn't like when this years GW went to 1hr slots is the feeling that the BBC appeared to me to be using 'token' people as presenters.

With the nice black lady and the guy in the wheel chair, its as if the BBC are saying "Look at how diverse we are". All it needs if for Nick Bailey to be gay to complete the image. I don't see a need for that in this day and age.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,606

I don't care who the presenters are, so long as what they say is factually accurate and not just their opinions dressed up as fact.

Devon.
  • Paul B3 says:

Perhaps Nigel the dog will be writing a book next ! Monty the 'mine of information' will surely have passed on some of his 'knowledge' even to him image

See original post

"Nigel my family and other dogs" available now at a bookshop near you. image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912

ladygardener2

"OK , OK "  ; Touche !!!!image

• Paul B3 says:

ladygardener2

"OK , OK "  ; Touche !!!!image

See original post

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I would never ever want to be referred to a a "lady gardener." I hope the poster is being ironic.

I am a gardener my gender is irrelevant . Being very PC me. image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487

My gender in the garden is only relevant when I haven't the muscle power to do something and have to supervise OH who is definitely a labourer, not a gardener tho he's finally learning the difference.  I live in hope.

I'm happy with the occasional contribution from a wheelchair gardener and different ethnicities as well as skill sets.   Far too easy for people to think they can't do something cos they're the wrong age, sex, race, education or other handicap.   That's just one reason the Autistic Gardener series was so brilliant - great gardens created but also great teamwork from what most people would consider and unpromising bunch of gardeners but they all have their strengths and a willingness to learn and to share which is what gardeners are about, aren't they?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,106

I could have sworn you were a bloke Obelixx, not sure why!

I like the new presenters; Adam's a skilled designer and his Essex-boy patter is a nice contrast from Monty. It kind of grates that the two 'diversity presenters' are only wheeled on (literally in the guy's case) whenever it's some kind of worthy 'community gardening' section; comes across a bit tokenistic.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,274

I agree ... I like the new presenters and the longer format ... however I don't think that Mark Lane's contributions to GW have been confined to 'worthy community gardening' ... but he does do his best to promote Thrive and gardening for people with disabilities whenever he can, so perhaps it may seem like that.  He's done quite a variety of stuff for GW ...

http://www.kent-life.co.uk/people/uk-s-first-wheelchair-garden-designer-mark-lane-1-4969902 

And Florence Headlam's main input is re 'city gardens' ... it' may well be where her experience and expertise lies .... I don't think it's all been 'community' stuff but it's understandable that some of it has been ... sadly there's often not a lot of space for individually owned gardens of any size in the inner cities and community gardens are a growing trend (sorry 'bout that  image

Last edited: 29 September 2017 14:46:33

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh