Anyone use Wolf Garten multi-change tools?

Hi everyone,

I've just taken delivery of a Wolf Garten multi-change aluminium handle (142cm) and one of the interchangeable tool heads (a 'Swoe' style hoe).

The connection between handle and tool is a little loose.  The tool can be pushed in and pulled out slightly.  There's a 2mm (1/16in) gap between handle and tool when it's fully pulled out.  As such, the fully assembled tool rattles slightly when being used for weeding.

The rattling is not what I was expecting, given the reputation and fantastic reviews of the multi-change range.

Does anyone else experience this rattling, or do I have a faulty component?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback image

JT

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,058

I've got a very long extendible handle and an apple picking bag on it. It did a good job on the damson, pulling them off the branches , it seems tight enough.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • johnterryjohnterry Posts: 21
    fidgetbones says:

I've got a very long extendible handle and an apple picking bag on it. It did a good job on the damson, pulling them off the branches , it seems tight enough.

See original post

I checked out fruit picker tool you have.  It's possible that the rattle isn't so noticeable when you have the handle angled upwards.  If the tool attachment is being moved backwards and forwards fairly quickly (as with the hoe attachment), the rattling is quite annoying - and makes the tool feel quite unstable/weak.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,256

I'd be inclined to go back to wherever you got it and check if other handle and head combinations of the same tools do the same thing.  If not, I would take it back and get it replaced.  If the others do the same thing, you could try wrapping some insulating tape around the head to stop it.

I accept that with tools of the price of the Wolf range there shouldn't be a problem in the first place.  I have a number of their tools and never noticed a problem.

scroggin says:

I have quite a few attachments for the Wolf multitool. Hoe, take  and tiller. There had to be a small amount of clearance otherwise you wouldn't be able to release the tool with the button.

I can't say I've noticed an audible rattle though. Can you visit a GC and try a new one to see if there's a noticeable difference? 

Last edited: 08 September 2017 19:09:08

See original post

Thanks scroggin.  I'll try a new one at some stage, and report back.  It's my first experience of the multi-change tools, so maybe it just takes a bit of getting used to.  However, it does feel like it would be a lot more solid with a 2mm rubber washer between the tool and handle.  Maybe I'll just make one myself, but wondered what other people's experience was.

KT53 says:

I'd be inclined to go back to wherever you got it and check if other handle and head combinations of the same tools do the same thing.  If not, I would take it back and get it replaced.  If the others do the same thing, you could try wrapping some insulating tape around the head to stop it.

I accept that with tools of the price of the Wolf range there shouldn't be a problem in the first place.  I have a number of their tools and never noticed a problem.

See original post

Thanks for the feedback KT53.  Afraid I got them through Amazon (had some vouchers), so I'll go to a GC at some stage and make a comparison.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,456

There's a 10-year warranty on Wolf-Garten tools ; I took a £56-00 pair of loppers back to my local garden centre last year and they exchanged with no quibbles .

Not sure how'd you'd fare with purchasing via Amazon though ; if you've a receipt they ought to honour any replacement if needed !

Thanks Paul.  I'm just wondering if I should expect a tight fit, or whether some movement is normal.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,968

We have a dozen or more different heads for Wolf tools and 4 handle lengths.  Never had any wobble or "play" or rattle although we do have a cultivator head that is permanently fixed to its long handle as it got stuck years ago and we've never managed to shift it.   No matter.  We simply bought a new long handle for the rake heads and the push-me, pull-you twin edged hoe heads.

I also have Wolf loppers and Wolf trowels tho I've recently received a Snneboer trowel which is going to be be perfect for this new garden and its heavier soil.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw