Forum home Plants

False Acacia Tree (Robinia pseudoacacia)

Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Hi. I've just purchased some false acacia tree seeds off of eBay (hopefuly the Fricia variety) and wondered if anyone else here has tried growing before? Any pointers in respect of propogating these seeds? I was going to soak them in hot water for a few hours and then sow them about 1 cm deep in seedling soil, does that sound correct? 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,000

Probably best just to sow them in good compost and leave the pot outside over winter for natural stratification.   I had a golden pseudoacacia robinia frisia which died quite young of the disease they're getting but did leave behind a greener self sown baby which germinated and grew in the border.

The golden form is brittle so needs protection from strong winds and also suffers in very cold winters. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

Thanks Obelixx. I'm from down south on the coast so cold winters are few and far between. It's more the wind that I have to look out for. 

Is it advisable to plonk them in a cold frame over winter or wouldnt you bother? 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,000

Stratification involves a period of winter chill to break dormancy and let the seed germinate in spring.  You can also cheat by putting the seeds in some compost in a bag sealed in the fridge for a couple of weeks and then keep them in the cold frame.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,143

As Obelixx states , natural stratification is the way to 'do it' ! Sow seeds in pots*** , double cling film the tops and seal with rubber bands after a good soaking . Stand in a semi-shaded area of your garden for the winter months and forget about them .

Nature will do the rest .

*** gritty compost is preferable !

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

What's the cling film for? Is it so it retains moisture? 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,143

Yes ; acts like a miniature greenhouse . The condensation that develops is recycled and drips onto the seedlings should you forget to water them . Constant availability of moisture is essential .