Forum home The potting shed

Tree prunining/shaping

I have a mature Magnolia Soulangiana that needs cutting back.I already booked a quote with one tree-surgeon & have one firm to arrive.My question is approx how much should they charge for cutting back& removal of logs,branches,etc.? Whilst in flower in April ,providing not too many frosts & heavy rain-fall ,the tree looks really beautiful,but come September/October,the amount of leaves are obviously getting a bit much & the risk of dying branches falling on us,is now getting worryingly frequent. The branches are now quite thick,so with young children,next door,we don't want to take any chances. Final reason for the thinning the tree is the large shadow,cast over our garden,reducing the type of plants we can successfully grow. 

Enjoying the G.W. site/app

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,030

Bumping up for you as you've had no replys, , I had trees taken down, beech and sycamore, it was very expensive, into thousands, but they were very big trees.

Like any other job, as not many do it, they can charge what they like.

We are the only people in our line of work so could charge lots, we don't, but that's what happens when no one else can do it.

At  end of the day, it's up to you what you are prepared to pay and how much you want it done.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,889

A proper registered tree surgeon with all the correct equipment & insurance will not be cheap. A lot depends on where you are, there is a lot of competition round here (N London) but then we have a training college  in the area. Some will depend on access how easy / difficult it will be to get to will they have to climb or can they use ladders etc. Expect to pay £80 to £120 per Hour. 

In mitigation of their fees the insurance cost are very high, the equipment and it's maintenance costs are high too. Beware their are a lot of cowboys out there not necessarily cheap, check BBC watchdog rogues gallery for ones to avoid.

Use directory below for certified contractors.

https://www.trees.org.uk/ARB-Approved-Contractor-Directory

http://www.tree-care.info/findanarb/qualifications

AB Still learning

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,569

Last month I had a tree surgeon, with qualified helper ( does that make 2 tree surgeons? ) for a whole day. 

They removed about 30- 40  , mostly Ash trees , approx 15 years old and chipped the small branches and cut the rest of the wood to roughly 1m lengths and that cost me £300 .

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,030

That was very good, mine cost £3,000.00. He was a very qualified surgeon, he looks after grounds belonging to a famous star around the Oxford area. There where two of them, the trees were huge, they left everything as if they'd never been although I did ask them to leave the huge pile of chipping some from the smaller branches. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,569

I bumped into "mine" today in Waitrose and have asked him to come round and do some more. 
    "Oh, I've dropped you off more woodchip" . He said.

Bless 'im.image

Devon.