Forum home The potting shed

Reviving Cheap Plants

Don't you just love buying cheap plants on offer and reviving them. I have just bought some Astilbes from Home Bargains for 25p that looked dead. On getting them home I chopped off all the dead leaves and underneath is a healthy looking plant. I look forward to see them grow next year. The grocers just down the road were selling the same plant £4.99, they looked lovely but I have the satisfaction that mine will look like that(fingers crossed) next year for a fraction of the price.

I did similar with some geraniums/a choisia and some hebes. I might end up with a random garden but it makes me happy inside.image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,948

Hello Sloppy

yes , it is satisfying to do that ; last year purchased a badly mildewed Phlox and a very badly damaged Delphinium from our local GC sales bench . This summer they were stunning !!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,996

It is indeed satisfying - so many of these plants in DIY and bargain shops end up being chucked, so if someone can recognise the value, and nurture them, it has to be good  image

I hope you get a lot of pleasure from your bargains too!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

Better still is salvaging and/or propagating stuff you've liberated from your neighbours' garden waste bags.

• oooftoooft Posts: 191

I've been going to a big store that sometimes slashes the plants from £5- £7 to 50p. My small car has been rammed with them several times this summer. I had a haul reduced from £118 to £6.50 on my best day. Only had 3 failures so far, the gentians did not recover from their experience at the cruelty-to-plants shop. My garden is full of lovely flowers now. I don't know how they will get on over winter as quite a few were only half hardy but at that price they are cheaper than a bunch of flowers and well worth having even if you only get to enjoy them once.