Forum home Plants

Forget me nots

MayLaneMayLane Posts: 203

I planted these out in the spring and they did well and have spread loads. Do I pull all the leaves out now or am I meant to leave them? 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

If they are forget me nots they will die when they have finished seeding because they are annuals. You can pull them up and put them on the compost heap. You will soon find their babies shooting up all over the place. Thin these out if they are very crowded and then again in Spring to get just what you want.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116

I thought they were bi-annual - so this year's babies will be next year's flowers.

Well, true but you can plant them in Spring too like cornflakes.

CornFLOWERS  thank you  predictive text. 

• Posy says:

Well, true but you can plant them in Spring too like cornflakes.

See original post

I like this better! image

Are cornflakes not bi-annual?

• I love cornflakes. What a pity I can't grow some. Just had homegrown sweet corn for supper though!  Forgetmenots are the best weed control I know.  Treat then as green manure and let them self seed. In spring they will flower and look stunning. They are at their best in May and were used traditionally for headdress of May Queen. They will stop any other weed growing as are real thugs. Then just pull up while green and compost leaving the roots in the ground. Dig it all in and plant your summer veg once all danger of frost is over.  If you want leave a few clumps to set seed but it's hardly necessary as they will still come up everywhere anyway. 

Greenmum, if you grow sweet corn, you can make cornflakes.

http://12tomatoes.com/breakfast-recipe-corn-flakes/

• MayLaneMayLane Posts: 203

Ok so my for get me not foliage is still very green and growing. I think it is still this year's. Do I leave it or pull it up?  I thought it would die down. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868

if your forget me not foliage is green and growing it's this year's seedling for next year's flowers. They flower, seed and die, then seedlings appear all over