Forum home Plants

What is this?

This little bush has just appeared in our garden, probably from some seeds dropped by a passing bird. Can anyone tell me what it is, please? We live in the centre of France.image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Do you have another picture of this plant in the ground? It's quite hard to tell the colours and shape. But it looks a bit like Solanum Capsicastrum,  the Jerusalem Cherry.

• Here is the whole plant in situ.image

It does look like the Solanum Capsicastrum. Looking very healthy and probably a wall will keep it sheltered. Not sure of the temperatures at night in central France over the winter months, but I wouldn't be surprised if it survives outside. They're usually sold as house-plants in the UK.

• Thank you very much. It is next to a wall right now, but we are in fact hoping to move it to a more central part of the garden in the autumn.

Well good luck with that, but I would leave it there as it will get protection from the wall from winds and any pending frost. 

• Thank you very much. I have in fact now transplanted it, and it does not appear to have suffered from the move.

That sounds good. This plant will look great from now right up to the coldest months if not damaged.