Forum home Plants

Hydrangea Problem

Cat 3Cat 3 Posts: 107

Hi All

Can any of you let me know what is happening to my hydrangeas?  Should I give them a particular feed eg phosphorous?  Will they survive?  All seven shrubs have the spots!

Thanks 

Cat

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

Is this not just aging spots which you should expect at this time of the year. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

It looks like some kind of fungal leaf spot. If you are watering, make sure you water carefully from below as it's very likely this may have spread through splashes from around the area. If it's not too bad, I would recommend pruning off the affected leaves and carefully remove any dead leaves around the area. Make sure the base area is cleared of old leaves and scrape off the top layer of soil and re-apply a new layer for the winter time. This shouldn't cause issues with the whole plant.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147

Mine look like that most years, and one certainly has some just now. I do the same as Borderline suggests - remove anything dodgy and tidy anything away from round the plant. I sometimes put a layer of compost down, but not always. 

Most hydrangeas that are otherwise healthy won't be affected long term. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Cat 3Cat 3 Posts: 107

Thank you.  I will attend to it today.

Cat