September Sewing

Hello,

I am a complete newbie in always when it comes to gardening and unfortunately I do not have a garden.  However I do have a couple of balconies and I am keen to grow some flowers and veg in pots.

I've just read the article on what to seeds to sew in September and would like to know if the flowers mentioned would grow well in pots too and if so which compost do I need to use?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Viki.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622

Obs is always making clothes. I'm sure she'd know which seeds can be " sewn" image

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

NOW NOW.

WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF A LITTLE HOMOPHONE EVERY NOW AND THEN.

I DON'T TAKE GARDENERS' WORLD MAGAZINE SO I DON'T KNOW WHICH SEEDS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR AUTUMN SOWING.

MAYBE SOMEONE WHO HAS SEEN THE ARTICLE CAN HELP 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622

sorry. image

'twas just a wee joke.

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

Sow seeds for salad crops in trays in the greenhouse. Rocket, Winter lettuce, microgreens, radish can all be sown now

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858
    Hostafan1 says:

sorry. image

'twas just a wee joke.

See original post

You'll be getting a smacked b*m from Dove later for that one Hosta  image

Just ignore him Victoria - he's not giving up the day job and becoming a stand-up either....image

Hey fidget - she only has a balcony. It'll be a gey small greenhouse!  image

Suggestions are good though. Salad crops are good undercover for growing over winter. If you want flowers, there will be plenty you could start off too, but you have to bear in mind that they get bigger - and you need somewhere to put them once they're pricked out and in their own pots. You'd possibly be better just buying a couple of plants which you could divide or take cuttings from to increase stock,  because it's easy to end up with hundreds of seedlings and nowhere to put them. 

I think the biggest issue with balconies is wind and sun damage, and anything in pots and troughs etc can dry out readily, so just be vigilant when the plants are finally in their pots Victoria image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Hosta!  Had to resist the urge to say autumn frocks and trousers.

I don't get the magazine either so don't know if it's talking about flowering plants or edibles but, for a balcony, I'd have permanent pots of herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme, French tarragon and maybe bay if it doesn't get too cold and then next spring I'd sow parsley, basil and coriander in window boxes.  

For vegetables, I'd try cavolo nero, curly kale, Swiss chard and rocket plus some other salad leaves and maybe even pak choi. 

I wouldn't sow flowers now for a balcony but I'd be looking for spring bulbs in containers with hardy cyclamen and/or winter pansies or violas for colour and maybe some foliage interest from heucheras.  Nothing too tall or fragile if the balconies are exposed to winter winds and cold.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw