Forum home The potting shed

Cold Frame

Never used a Cold Frame before,

So when its said to place your cuttings/potted plants into a cold frame during the Spring, Summer or now.

Does that mean closing the frame, leaving it open or open alittle to vent while its still 16/20c temps and closing at night.

thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,551

Depends on your night time temps and even the amount of sun they'll get in the day time.  The idea is to protect your babies from frosts and excess heat (or direct sun for cuttings) and also sudden drops of temperature so close at night, ventilate by day when it's above about 8C and, if sunny, shade with an old onion bag or some green plastic mesh.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 699

I've not used my cold frame during the summer at all, the lids have been  propped open to form a table of sorts that I've put the more mature cuttings and seedlings on. I'll probably start using it again at night to place my seedlings in as the night time temps drop but will take them out again during the day. In the winter time and spring is when it really comes into its own as plants remain in it all the time and it's vented during the daytime.

Last edited: 31 August 2017 12:15:51

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.