Magnolia browning

imageI have 2 magnolia Iolanthes which I planted in early spring. They took brilliantly - loads of leaves grew and they shot up. Since mid August the leaves started to curl and they are now both browning. Is this normal for this time of year or do they need help? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

It's trying very hard to grow and the pot is small for roots to establish well, so the foliage will suffer. The leaves furthest from the water and nutrient source are always the first to change if a plant is stressed in any way.  

They really need to be in the ground to grow well. If it's kept in a pot it will need a bigger one if it's to thrive. They need a lot of extra care in a pot, and I'm not sure you could keep it in one long term without a fair bit of effort. It will need a soil based compost too - not just compost on it's own as there isn't moisture retention or nourishment in that. Each year you'll need to refresh the top couple of inches of soil too and give a slow release food to keep it happy. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairy Girl

It is in the ground. The circle you can see in the photo is a hoop on the surface only as a decorative thing. The roots go down into the bed. It's not the best soil though so maybe I need to dig through some extra nutrient rich soil. 

Laura