Jealous of my daughters soil!!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,673

My garden is on heavy clay and have at times taken to using a hammer and chisel to break it up! image

My daughter has just moved into her first house and she is delighted to have a garden of her own.image

I however am extremely jealous of the lovely black,friable soil she has.The area is near a river so that is probably why!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,586

My mum had the same feeling of jealousy when we moved into our current house.  Her garden was virtually solid clay when they move in and she spent years getting it to something more useable.  The deeds for our house actually state that commercial extraction of sand and gravel is not permitted! image

Wonderfully free draining and a dream to dig unless it's been very dry for an extended period.  Even then, a good soak with the hose and it's ready to dig 24 hours later.

The 2 houses are only a couple of miles apart as the crow flies.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,878

brother in laws house has fine peaty/sandy soil (perfect as its built on an old potato farm) but he doesn't garden- he's got lawn and a patio and that's all he's planning on having (i'm trying to convert him),

my house however is on a former brick works!

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,626

My Mum felt the same about our first house. She lived in what had been a new build when they bought it in the 60s. Anyone who thinks the habit of developers to strip the top soil is a new thing, it isn't. She basically had pot clay and rubble. We bought a Victorian terraced house - railway workers housing - with a teeny tiny garden but it had been a garden for a century and the soil was black loam, free draining and fertile.

I'm not going to live long enough to get this place to that condition image

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,586

The house we're in was built in the 1930s.  Although it does have good soil anyway, it was vastly improved by the people who lived here up to the early 1980s.  They had the entire garden down to veg for the whole of the nearly 50 years they lived here.  The people before use converted a lot to lawns and borders, but the soil in the area which is still for veg can be crumbled by hand unless it's been a very hot and dry period.