Forum home Problem solving

Horse tail weed

Could I have help please with my horse tail weed in my garden. I have read that this weed can go as deep as 7foot  in the ground and its a very hard weed to get rid of.  i made a new vegetable patch in my little garden at the beginning of spring and covered it over to let the soil etc rot down and to use the space to put my pots on while I was having a extension built. The build to far longer then was supposed to which meant I couldn't use my veg bed until now.  Last weekend I pulled back the plastic to start and get it ready for winter veg, but I found I have this horse tail weed in over half of the bed. I have looked up weed killers but I'm not sure which one I should use! It seems that this weed is very persistent in coming back, so I know I have to use a very stronge one to hopefully get rid of it. can anybody help me please.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,897

Hello janejaycox

Looking at a garden today infested with this ; weedkillers don't seem to touch it . I strim the pathways regularly to keep them clear , but borders I have to resort to digging as deep as possible to extract the roots . Hopefully this will eventually weaken the voracious growth and it will 'give up the ghost' so to speak .

Apologies for being the bearer or 'bad-tidings' image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,786

Covering the soil with plastic or similar seems to create the perfect conditions for horsetail to thrive. 

I have read that it dislikes a limey soil and certainly we have chalk near to the surface here and no horsetail ( fingers crossed)   It might be worth liming an area of your veg patch and growing brassicas there as it helps to prevent club root, and noting whether the horsetail lessens in that area. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hello Paul 

Thanks for replying back to me. Yes I thought this might be one way to rid my veg patch of this unwelcomed weed. I have read that it doesn't like lime !  So perhaps with good old back aching digging and large amounts of lime I may be able to plant out next spring.  image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,897

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-horsetail-45689.html

I can almost admire its persistence , but it's so annoying image