Forum home Plants

Plants that root in water

• B3B3 Posts: 12,706
    Do you need to keep them really wet as in standing pot in water? @Sandygarden?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 104
    Yes, its in my shady corner with the hostas (also in pots) and sits in a saucer which I keep full of water.
    Worth a try. I like watercress but i thought it needed running water so ive never tried to pot it on.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 406
    A friend has got her clematis cuttings (several varieties) to root in water.  She tells me now is a good time.  I'll take her advice and do it today.  The worst that could happen is no roots, I suppose!
    I'm going to give that one ago -if I can find a non-flowering shoot😉
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 200
    I'm trying now with clematis cuttings in water. Been in a week, no signs as yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Clematis Josephine. I'd love 2 more. But I'm not sure if I've chosen the right part of the plant. What is the best way to take a clematis cutting please?
    For me, Erica, it has always been trial-and-error!  Never give up!  If someone else has succeeded I will too.... eventually.  However, I do believe green tips (somewhat sturdy though) root better than older bits.  Good luck!
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 200
    Thanks @Helen P3. I might take a few more just incase.
    By the way, I found this online.  It looks interesting, I think.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/98657048070162829/
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,755
    Dont worry if you can’t find a non flowering shoot, works just as well if you pick the flowers off.  My Salvias and Veronicas flower on every shoot, it works. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.