Plants that root in water

• SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 84
    Sprigs of supermarket watercress root easily in water. I pot them up, make sure they never dry out and have cut and come again watercress all summer. Saves a bit of money.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,819
    Do you need to keep them really wet as in standing pot in water? @Sandygarden?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 84
    Yes, its in my shady corner with the hostas (also in pots) and sits in a saucer which I keep full of water.
    Worth a try. I like watercress but i thought it needed running water so ive never tried to pot it on.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 257
    A friend has got her clematis cuttings (several varieties) to root in water.  She tells me now is a good time.  I'll take her advice and do it today.  The worst that could happen is no roots, I suppose!
    I'm going to give that one ago -if I can find a non-flowering shoot😉
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 173
    I'm trying now with clematis cuttings in water. Been in a week, no signs as yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Clematis Josephine. I'd love 2 more. But I'm not sure if I've chosen the right part of the plant. What is the best way to take a clematis cutting please?
    For me, Erica, it has always been trial-and-error!  Never give up!  If someone else has succeeded I will too.... eventually.  However, I do believe green tips (somewhat sturdy though) root better than older bits.  Good luck!
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 173
    Thanks @Helen P3. I might take a few more just incase.
    By the way, I found this online.  It looks interesting, I think.
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/98657048070162829/