Plants that root in water

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,263
    I’ve got something layering at the moment, forgot what it was but I think I’ve done it for Chicky? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• If Dove says layering works, I'm absolutely certain, Del, it does.  Try it, along with Sam's ways.

I'm such an untidy gardener that plants layer themselves!  Young branches/side-shoots fall on the ground- whilst still attached to the "mother" plant, leaves etc. fall on top of them and at some time or other down the line, I discover I have a new honey suckle, jasmine, clematis and even wisteria!  All I do then is put a brick on the area of connection with the soil and wait!

A while back, I heard Bob Flowerdew say that he’s never succeeded in his efforts to layer wisteria.  I felt SO proud, I did it without trying!

• B3B3 Posts: 10,205
    Phygellius is an absolute pita for layering itself. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 167
    Helen P3 said:
    Hi Zoe, what's, finally, happened to your water cutting?  You promised photos, remember? ;)

Yes, and here they are!

It's growing quite well, I think.

It's even growing a new side-shoot!

I went away for a few days, the sun decided to come out (sod's law, ) and scorched some of its leaves a little.   :/

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 303
    That's beautiful!  Well done, you!

None of my cut flowers managed to grow roots in their vases, unfortunately, but inspired by Phaidra's success with her basil, I had a go.  Thrilled to say, they've rooted!

I will pot them up tomorrow.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 765
    edited 2 June
    Thanks for unearthing this old thread, I’m going to try some too since I’m not very good at getting them to root in soil with rooting powder.

What’s not clear to me after reading through is what kind of cuttings I should be sticking in the water. All softwood? 
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 463
    Try everything.  Something is bound to work. 
    I trod in the middle of a recently planted penstemon -as you do😐
    Put the 'cuttings ' in a glass of water and one's rooted already.
    I think I might tramp around the flower beds some more.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 349
    Geums and geraniums root easily from cuttings. 

Geums will get trampled on tomorrow😉 Which bit and how much do you need? @Big Blue Sky?