Forum home Plants

Plants that root in water

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,048
    I’ve got something layering at the moment, forgot what it was but I think I’ve done it for Chicky? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• If Dove says layering works, I'm absolutely certain, Del, it does.  Try it, along with Sam's ways.

I'm such an untidy gardener that plants layer themselves!  Young branches/side-shoots fall on the ground- whilst still attached to the "mother" plant, leaves etc. fall on top of them and at some time or other down the line, I discover I have a new honey suckle, jasmine, clematis and even wisteria!  All I do then is put a brick on the area of connection with the soil and wait!

A while back, I heard Bob Flowerdew say that he’s never succeeded in his efforts to layer wisteria.  I felt SO proud, I did it without trying!

• B3B3 Posts: 16,623
    Phygellius is an absolute pita for layering itself. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 400
    Helen P3 said:
    Hi Zoe, what's, finally, happened to your water cutting?  You promised photos, remember? ;)

Yes, and here they are!

It's growing quite well, I think.

It's even growing a new side-shoot!

I went away for a few days, the sun decided to come out (sod's law, ) and scorched some of its leaves a little.   :/

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 650
    That's beautiful!  Well done, you!

None of my cut flowers managed to grow roots in their vases, unfortunately, but inspired by Phaidra's success with her basil, I had a go.  Thrilled to say, they've rooted!

I will pot them up tomorrow.
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 803
    Try everything.  Something is bound to work. 
    I trod in the middle of a recently planted penstemon -as you do😐
    Put the 'cuttings ' in a glass of water and one's rooted already.
    I think I might tramp around the flower beds some more.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 598
    Geums and geraniums root easily from cuttings. 

Surrey
    Geums will get trampled on tomorrow😉 Which bit and how much do you need? @Big Blue Sky?
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 119
    Sprigs of supermarket watercress root easily in water. I pot them up, make sure they never dry out and have cut and come again watercress all summer. Saves a bit of money.