Plants that root in water

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    brugmansias yes, spider plants.  I put some cut flowers in a vase of water in the summer, and got roots part way down the stem, unfortunately, I cant blooming remember what they were!! I have a friend who has successfully rooted carnations this way.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 170
    It would seem, Helen, forgetting all about the cuttings is what's required sometimes!

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010080/what-is-this#latest

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 326
    Neglect does often work, I'd agree.
    Late in October, I went away for 12 days.  My various pots of basil were thriving but fearing they'd, probably, not survive if there was a serious drop in temperature, I cut off their tops, put them in a jar of water and left them in a bright spot in the kitchen.
    When I came back, I found that every single one of the cuttings had grown roots; and this is how they look now, still in that jar!

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 305
    Goodness, Phaidra!  You're amazing.  I take it that the dense white matted growth that fills the jar is actually roots?
    I imagine you're going to transplant the cuttings at sometime, unless they can survive in a jar of water indefinitely??
    I remain utterly astonished!
  • Sedum in May/July (but make sure that it's a cutting without a flower head).
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 305
    Hi Zoe, what's, finally, happened to your water cutting?  You promised photos, remember? ;)

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 326
    Hi Helen, I've decided not to plant them up but to leave them in the jar.  I keep topping up the jar with rain water to which, once a week, I add a pipettful of liquid fertilizer.  At the moment, it works fine but I don't know for how long this will last!
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 170
    It's doing rather well, Helen.  I will take a picture of it and post it here soon, I hope!

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 465
    I have never tried rooting it in water, Del, but it has always rooted easily for me in late spring or early summer.  If I were you, I would try both methods.  One is bound to work, sooner or later.  Perseverance is the ticket!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619
    Ive layered Choisya ternata successfully. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh