Plants that root in water

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,079
    RubyRoss said:
    Avocado. 
    I've just grown my first one from a pit in a vase of water, it's starting to leaf up nicely now.

Lots of succulent plants root in water too which is surprising since they rot in damp soil.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 747
    Oleander
  • SonnieBSonnieB ROMFORD, Essex Posts: 68
    Very interesting thread.  I remember my mum sticking cuttings in water and they would always root.  I always wondered why people didn't do this more and it was a question I was going to pose on here a few months ago.  I don't have much success with cuttings in compost so will stick everything in a jar from now on to see what happens.  😊
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,304
    The easiest ever is probably pelargoniums. You might see roots after a few days.

Good to know about shrub salvias. 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    I broke a bit off a pelargonium so I stuck it in a pot with something else and forgot. No water invloved!  :)
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,518
    I put sprigs of Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum) in water in the summer to deter flies in the kitchen.
    They always root very quickly!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 424
    Late in September, I took several cuttings of various plants in order to get some new ones.  I placed them in a jar of water and went about my task.  When I was interrupted by rain, I brought my last cuttings in and, promptly, forgot all about them.
    Today(!) I found the jar and the cuttings of lavender.  One of them refused to die and even grew some roots!
    The resilience of nature never ceases to amaze me.

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 251
    I have managed to root very many cuttings in water but never lavender.  Obviously, the trick is to forget all about them!  How amazing! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,760
    I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for reminding me @Artemis3 :)
    I've bookmarked it for next year
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 424
    O, good!  We can, then, continue to admire nature's infinite ways of keeping going. :)