Plants that root in water

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    edited August 2018
    Any more for any more? I'm trying Escallonia but so far no joy. Should I be changing the water regularly?
    Ha! Just realised this thread is a year old. Good timing!
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,421
    I'm currently trying to root verbena bon. in water.........doesn't seem to be happening  :(
    I've managed to root hydrangeas, fuchsia, black elder in water.......I change the water every couple of days
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,947
    doesn't V. Bon have hollow stems? which would mean, I think, they won't root in water. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,447
    Stick them [V. bonariensis] in a wee pot of gritty compost Mary - and put them somewhere shelterd. They should take quite easily then  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,421
    Thanks for the tip @Fairygirl
    @Hostafan1 they are there a couple of weeks now, not rotted or rotting.  They've even put on some top growth which I've nipped out......but no roots.  I think I'll pot up as per fairygirl's advice.  
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 54
    I've only tried house plants so far: Ficus Benjamin, Golden Pothos, Prayer Plant (Maranta leuconeura), Baby Rubber Plant, and avocado. It took a few months but all went well apart from an inability to find windowsill space. 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,783
    Any tips on this? Cool clean water I assume? Does it need changing? Not tried it before but with 2 daughters and a sister all wanting "any spare plants you have" I need to improve my cutting taking skills! 
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 222
    I'm glad you revived this thread Plant pauper, very interesting. I usually stick sprigs of plants in a cup of water until I have time to prepare them as a cutting in the pot and soil way, sometimes they've got left there and none have ever rooted by accident for me. Id love to know the correct method. Are the stems in the water or suspended? Do i change the water? Do they need a bag over them to keep moisture in? Im definitely going to try some of the plants suggested in this thread. The houseplant tradescantia is supposed to root easily in water. 
  • Verbena does.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,447
    Mary - I put three or four round the edge of a 6 inch pot, or similar to that. I should have made that clear.
    Doing them round the edge keeps them on the dry side, which usually helps too. Somewhere warm but sheltered, but not so that they get dried out completely. They might not all take, but you should get some   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....