Plants that root in water

• B3B3 Posts: 9,968
    Can I put my bay clippings and VB seedlings in your shop?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 638
    :D
    I took some cuttings from my own buddleia and they FAILED to root in water (and soil), so I'm at a point where I'd take a punt on ones randomly seeding in the street. I could open a museum of failed cuttings, no shop sadly!
    Could you liberate one from the gutter? We had one growing out of chimney. Fortunately, the hot weather last year solved the problem😊
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 478
    Is it straightforward enough to pot up a cutting that has rooted in water?

I finally have 2 successful fuchsia cuttings after many failures.

As easy as just making sure the pot is kept moist?
    Make sure there's plenty of roots first.
  • I've had no luck with the beads: in the time it took some plectranthus to fool me into thinking they were rooting, but turns out to be rotting, the bit I just shoved into a space in the pot has rooted and doubled in size!

On a more positive note, Euphorbia hypericifolia(?) 'Silverfog' has begun rooting in less than a week!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,274
    edited 31 August
    6/6 success with potentilla, and I've just potted them up.  Some of them have flower buds, but I've nipped those off.  Have just put more cuttings into jars of water:  Azalea/Rhododendron luteum, hardy geranium and fuchsia.

Last week I put some Sedum spectabile in a flower arrangement for church, and they were still looking good when the arrangement was replaced with a new one a week later, so I brought them home and stuck them in a vase.  By the time I threw them away, they were rooting.  Will remember this next time I'm fundraising!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113
    When you pot up the fuchsia cuttings put a little bit of compost in the bottom the pot then stand the cutting on that then gently trickle  compost on top.  Don’t press it down, they like their roots free.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Do you mean the shrubby potentilla or the other one? I have both but would like to propagate the other kind. I don't think it's called ' the other one' 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113
    Can’t you just chop bits from the roots on that one? 
    I’m taking my shrubby one out this winter, it’s untidy, horrible yellow flowers and not for long. I need to be ruthless😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.