Plants that root in water

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,108
    I have rooted cuttings form my hibiscus houseplant in water so am just wondering if it would work with the outdoor kind.   Must be worth a try.

I had to hack a self sown honeysuckle out of a clematis pot and couldn't save the root so have had several stems in a vase of water for weeks.  Nothing doing but not dead either.  I've now added a soluble aspirin to see if they'll take the hint.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 643
    Fuschia went in 31 July, flower appeared and was plucked off on Tuesday. Still no roots. Almost a month. I suspect the flower production has something to do with it. Hopefully it'll sprout something soon. I'm pretty sure I picked a non-flowering shoot.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,277
    I pinched a sprig of white-flowered Potentilla from one of those unkempt municipal bits of urban planting, cut it into several sprigs, and it's rooted in no time.  Now I'm keeping my eye out for a yellow one.  I have a big fuchsia bush by the front door that I want to move to the other end of the border, where I'm trying to grow a fuchsia hedge.  I'll take loads of cuttings before I transplant it.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,002
    Still only gaura and penstemon here. Poked some fuchsia in soil and they're still alive. I wish I'd noted which they were😕 same goes for roses.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    edited 22 August
    My penstemon has done absolutely nothing apart from the stem going a bit brown and yucky underwater.
    Nice one josusa. My next step is to start taking self-seeded weeds from cracks in the pavement. I'm sure I saw some buddleja the other day!
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,002
    Try another one @Hexagon. Some take and some don't. I've no idea why.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 54
    I couldn't even get basil or thyme to root. Only bit of luck has been with Jasmine which did not root at all so stuck it into soil and it's thriving. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,119
    Fuchsias don’t take well in the hot weather, try some in September.
    September is best  really as they will need to be over wintered so smaller the better. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

:(

I'll take some more in a month when it's finished flowering then. Some very pretty little buds forming at the moment.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,277
    Hexagon said:
    My penstemon has done absolutely nothing apart from the stem going a bit brown and yucky underwater.
    Nice one josusa. My next step is to start taking self-seeded weeds from cracks in the pavement. I'm sure I saw some buddleja the other day!

I have two large buddleias beside my block-paved drive ......  If I potted up and grew on all the seedlings I pull out of the drive, I'd have enough to open a shop!